Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert, shares his top five Must-Dos now you’ve got that holiday booked…
And if you haven’t booked one yet, have a chat with our Mum to Mum Holiday Expert, Ruth at Brilliant Travel
Quote #MumtoMum and you may also be entitled to a group discount too!
Here’s what Martin has to say – link to the full article here: Martin Lewis MSE website
Booked a 2018 holiday? 5 ‘sort nows’…
- Check your documents are still valid now. Use this checklist:
– Check your passport expiry NOW. You may need 6+ months’ validity and renewing takes weeks. Passport help
– Check if you need a visa. It’s easiest and safest to check with the Foreign Office. See how to find visa help.
– Travelling to the US? You’ll almost certainly need an ‘ESTA’ to get in. See how to avoid shyster ESTA sites.
– Travelling in the EU? How to check your free EHIC is still valid (gives free/discounted medical treatment in EU + some other countries).
– Driving abroad? Check your licence is in date, and whether you need an International Driving Permit.
- Get travel insurance ASAB (As Soon As you’ve Booked) – from £5/trip or £9/yr. As we ALWAYS say, get it immediately so you’re covered if you have to cancel any time BEFORE your holiday begins, eg, if you or a relative falls ill.
- Slash car hire costs by booking early… Walk in during the summer hols, and we’ve heard of £40+/day prices (that’s assuming they’ve any cars left). But book now for mid-Aug and we’ve found £8/day for Tenerife, £16/day for Malaga. It paid for Dave: “Booked four months ahead, 10 days for £296, could have been £900 just before I went. So glad.”
- … and go early on airport parking. The earlier the better, but even booking a few hours ahead can avoid grand theft related to your auto. When we checked on Tue, if you drive up to the Heathrow Terminal 2 long stay, it’s £163 for a week. Book two hours ahead though, and it’s £112, or book now for a week in August and it’s £73.
And number 5: Martin also has tips on holiday credit cards, and all sorts of other financial matters – link to the full article here: Martin Lewis MSE website